It’s good to be home in Eugene, Oregon in October. After a couple weeks on the road, I’ve got a few days hiatus. Not exactly relaxing — I’m up against the gun on a few projects, but staying sane thanks to my favorite town. Here is the top ten things I love about Eugene:
1. The town run! Check out tonight’s action — big wild cutthroat on top w/ a parachute Adams. Five minutes from home, wild fish, the chance for summer steelhead.
2. Sam Bond’s Garage — Monday night bingo, cheap beer, good food. Gnarly Whitaker neighborhood folk.
3. Emerald Photo Society: Went to my second meeting last night with the folks at the EPS. I submitted three photos in the print competition and won in two categories! Truth be told, the “photojournalism” only had one entrant. But I scored 65 points overall for my three images which was very respectable. This one scored a 24 (out of potential 27).
4. Wayne’s Garage — absolutely the best mechanic in Eugene. I trust these guys 100%. I always feel like an idiot at the garage, but these guys made it painless. They fixed up my Honda and didn’t cash me out.
5. Spencers Butte — 1.5 miles and 800 feet up, free, five minutes from downtown.
6. Trout Unlimited Chapter 678 — Pretty much my entire social life revolves around this group. Here is TU 678 member Frenchy Laroux, scheming on how to best hook a sucker with his steelhead fly, earlier this evening.
7. The Caddis Fly — Monster fly shop and local guide hub, five minutes from home, great staff and a good place to go talk shit on my lunch break.
8. Ninkasi Brewery — Bring back the dry oatmeal stout and you’ll be higher on the list.
9. Cafe Zenon — Best restaurant in Eugene, hands down. It’s the tried and true — underrated. I’ve never been disappointed by the food and the service is awesome. Never a wait. It got some shitty reviews in Trip Advisor, but don’t buy it.
10. Lane County Farmers Market — Fresh food, locally grown, organic and healthy. This thing is going on almost 9 months a year (including xmas market).
I could go on, but I’m burnt out on “top tens” and it’s late. My arms hurt from catching all the fish.