The first annual McKenzie River Two-Fly Tournament will take place October 3-4, 2008 on the McKenzie River. Organized by The Caddis Fly Angling Shop and Trout Unlimited Chapter 678 (McKenzie River, Upper Willamette Chapter), proceeds from this inaugural event will fund restoration projects on the McKenzie River.
The tournament organizers have partnered with the Eugene based McKenzie River Trust to allocate funds toward native salmonid habitat enhancement. The Trust is a local grassroots organization working to protect special lands in Lane and Douglas county Oregon for their fish and wildlife habitat, water quality and scenic values. The Trust has been recognized by its partners for being creative with its projects, professional in its work with landowners, and committed to the community. “The McKenzie River Trust welcomes the continued loyal support of anglers,” said Joe Moll, Executive Director.
The tournament will take place October 3-4, 2008. Festivities begin Friday evening with a pre-tournament reception and raffle; the competition begins the following morning. The entry fee is $300 per person, two anglers per boat. Entry fee includes one day guided float trip on the McKenzie River, festivities, and door prizes.
“This tournament is a great way for anglers to give back to the resource that gives them so much,” said Karl Mueller, Conservation Officer for TU Chapter 678. “We can’t control ocean conditions but we can do everything in our power to ensure that salmon have the in-stream habitat necessary to thrive in the McKenzie River, which is one of the last strongholds for Willamette River spring Chinook salmon.”
Mckenzie River Two-Fly Tournament rules
1. Contestants will participate in teams of two, single entrants can be paired up with another angler and make a new fishing partner.
2. The winning team will be determined by total length of the three largest fish landed. Length will be determined by a standard method (either measure net or modified PVC pipe w/ measuring tape, TBD). Digital photos of fish and measurement required.
3. The morning of the tournament, contestants will select two flies to use through the day. The can be fished singly or in tandem. If the two flies are lost the contestant may continue to fish, but the angler’s fish no longer count toward the team’s total length.
4. Leader, fly tackle, and fly fishing methods are all at the discretion of the angler.
5. The guide is the judge in the boat and enforcer of the rules.
McKenzie River Two-Fly Tournament Prizes
1. First prize team wins Winston BiiX rod and Ross Reel combos — ($1800 value).
2. Second prize team wins 2 nights stay for four at a luxury cabin on the Upper McKenzie River, $50 gift certificate to Holiday Farm ($750 value).
3. Third prize team wins two Scientific Angler Sharkskin lines ($200 value).